Renters Insurance Provides Liability Coverage and Protection for Your Personal Belongings
Renters’ insurance protects renters in the same way that a homeowners’ policy protects your home. Renters
are exposed to many of the same risks as homeowners when it comes to their personal property and
personal liability. A landlord’s policy DOES NOT cover your personal belongings or provide protection if
you are found responsible in a liability claim. The landlord’s policy will cover the building and injury
or property damage they are found responsible for due to failure to properly maintain the property. If
you’re living in a rental unit or lease your home, then you still need renter’s insurance to protect
yourself and your personal belongings, and it is affordable for renters’ insurance to protect your
personal belongings and yours
A renter’s policy will cover:
- Your lost or damaged personal property as a result of theft, vandalism or fire.
- Personal liability coverage, to protect you from potential lawsuits.
- Medical payments for individuals who get injured at your home.
- Property damage to others if you cause damage to another person’s property.
- Additional living expenses if you become temporarily displaced from your apartment or home.
Some policies even offer added protection of Identity theft and Scheduled personal property – if you own
valuables such as an engagement ring or camera equipment you can get additional insurance to cover the
value beyond the limits provided with the standard renters’ policy.
The question you need to ask yourself is, “Can you afford to replace all of your personal belongings in the event of a loss?”.
We invite you to consult with one of our Renter’s insurance advisors to learn more about your renter’s insurance options!